Thursday, March 3, 2011

Nora Ephron Says "A Few Words About Breasts"


Tiny Brown loves Nora Ephron and is proud to have her contribute to THE DAILY BREAST. Here is the end of her classic essay, "A Few Words About Breasts":

After I went into therapy, a process that made it possible for me to tell total strangers at cocktail parties that breasts were the hang-up of my life, I was often told that I was insane to have been bothered by my condition. I was also frequently told, by close friends, that I was extremely boring on the subject. And my girlfriends, the ones with nice big breasts, would go on endlessly about how their lives have been far more miserable than mine. Their bra strips were snapped in class. They couldn't sleep on their stomachs. They were stared at whenever the word "mountain" cropped up in geography. And Evangeline, good God what they went through every time someone had to stand up and recite the Prologue to Longfellow's Evangeline: " . . .stand like druids of old . . ./With beards that rest on their bosoms." It was much worse for them, they tell me. They had a terrible time of it, they assure me. I don't know how lucky I was, the say.

I have thought about their remarks, tried to put myself in their place, considered their point of view. I think they are full of shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment